Odisha HC notice on gutkha ban notification
Cuttack: The Orissa High Court has asked the state government to submit a copy of the comprehensive notification that was issued last week banning the sale and manufacture of gutkha in the state.
A Division Bench comprising acting Chief Justice PK Mohanty and Justice S K Mishra yesterday issued the notice to the state government in response to a PIL filed by an NGO in December last year seeking the court`s indulgence in banning consumption and trade in nicotine containing smokeless tobacco substances that are causing cancer.
While the state government has in the meantime come out with a notification banning gutkha, the petitioner advocate sought to know whether the notification was comprehensive and whether the same was enough to completely eradicate the use of deadly smokeless tobacco in the state as was prayed in the PIL.
Accordingly, the HC directed the health secretary and the food and civil supply secretary to file a detailed report of the government notification.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended