Odisha hostages: Maoists yet to respond to offer
Bhubaneswar: Two mediators Friday sought clarification from the Odisha government on its swap offer to secure the release of an Italian and a state legislator from Maoist captivity and also said the rebels had not responded to it yet.
The interlocutors sought the clarifications a day after Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik named 27 people, including a Maoist leader`s wife, who would be swapped in exchange for the freedom of the Italian and the legislator.
Dandapani Mohanty, one of the Maoist-backed mediators, said it was not clear how the government was going to facilitate the release. "We have asked them (officials representing the government).
"They said they will reply," Mohanty told reporters after holding talks with three senior officials representing the government at the state guest house here.
Mohanty also said the mediators don`t have any information from the Maoists on whether they would release the Italian hostage on the basis of the chief minister`s announcement.
"At this moment, we don`t have any suggestions or objections. The Maoists have to respond," he said.
The Maoists have held hostage Italian tour operator Bosusco Paolo and Biju Janata Dal legislator Jhina Hikaka since March 14 and March 24, respectively.
While the Italian was abducted by the Odisha unit of the Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist) from Kandhamal district, the legislator was kidnapped by the Andhra-Odisha border special zonal committee from Koraput district.
Both the groups have been asking the government to fulfil 13 demands, including the release of several prisoners, who they claimed are languishing in state jails on false charges.
Mohanty and tribal expert BD Sharma have been holding talks with the government for the past several days to secure the release of the Italian after the abductors announced their names.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand