Odisha increases retirement age of 873 doctors
Bhubaneswar: Odisha has increased the retirement age of 873 doctors working in three of its government-run medical college and hospitals by five years to cover the shortfall in numbers, an official said on Wednesday.
The doctors at the medical college and hospitals in Burla in Sambalpur district, Berhampur in Ganjam district and at Cuttack, a district headquarters town, will now retire at the age of 65 instead of 60.
The move would benefit 873 doctors, a senior official of the state health department said.
The state currently has 3,936 doctors working in various government hospitals against the sanctioned posts of 4,362. At least 200 posts are vacant in state medical colleges.
The retirement age of the doctors has been increased as another 200 doctors of the medical college and hospitals would retire in the next five years and the required number of medics are not available to fill the posts.
The state government is also considering raising the retirement age of other doctors, especially those serving in rural areas, from 60 to 62, he said.
Besides, the government is planning to hire some doctors on an ad hoc basis to meet the shortfall, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video