Odisha: Intense combing after killing of cop
Nuapada: An intense combing operation by the CRPF and elite Special Operation Group is Wednesday underway in Odisha`s Nuapada district where a police officer was shot dead after being kidnapped by Maoists.
The operations were concentrated around the Sunabeda Sanctuary bordering Chhatisgarh where the body of assistant subinspector, Kruparam Majhi, was found with three gunshot wounds yesterday, Deputy Inspector General of Police (South-West), Soumendra Priyadarshi said.
Describing the area in the backward district as a Maoist hotbed, the DIG said the killing of the tribal police officer proved that the Maoist claims of working for tribals and the poor was hollow.
"The combing operation has been intensified by security personnel in Sunabeda Sanctuary area," he said.
Forces have been deployed at strategic points to prevent movement of the extremists on the Odisha-Chhattisgarh border.
The slain ASI was accorded a guard of honour at the Reserve Police Lines here.
The last rites were performed with full state honours at his home village of Beltukri, about 20 km from here, police sources said.
The 44-year-old ASI of Dharmabandha outpost, was escorting a water tanker to a CRPF camp at Goudha with a constable on a motorcycle when they were stopped by a group of about 30 armed Maoists yesterday.
While the constable fled, the Maoists took away the ASI at gunpoint and shot him dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!