Odisha: Intense combing after killing of cop
Nuapada: An intense combing operation by the CRPF and elite Special Operation Group is Wednesday underway in Odisha`s Nuapada district where a police officer was shot dead after being kidnapped by Maoists.
The operations were concentrated around the Sunabeda Sanctuary bordering Chhatisgarh where the body of assistant subinspector, Kruparam Majhi, was found with three gunshot wounds yesterday, Deputy Inspector General of Police (South-West), Soumendra Priyadarshi said.
Describing the area in the backward district as a Maoist hotbed, the DIG said the killing of the tribal police officer proved that the Maoist claims of working for tribals and the poor was hollow.
"The combing operation has been intensified by security personnel in Sunabeda Sanctuary area," he said.
Forces have been deployed at strategic points to prevent movement of the extremists on the Odisha-Chhattisgarh border.
The slain ASI was accorded a guard of honour at the Reserve Police Lines here.
The last rites were performed with full state honours at his home village of Beltukri, about 20 km from here, police sources said.
The 44-year-old ASI of Dharmabandha outpost, was escorting a water tanker to a CRPF camp at Goudha with a constable on a motorcycle when they were stopped by a group of about 30 armed Maoists yesterday.
While the constable fled, the Maoists took away the ASI at gunpoint and shot him dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read