Odisha Jan Morcha activists block road
Jajpur (Odisha): Activists of Odisha Jan Morcha (OJM) on Saturday blocked Kolkata-Chennai National Highway on the outskirts of Jaraka in Jajpur district demanding immediate release of party secretary general Jagneswar Babu, who was arrested recently.
Vehicular traffic between Panikoili and Cuttack was disrupted for sometimes following the road blockade.
Local leaders and workers of OJM led by its Dharmasala convener Pravakar Nayak tried to enforce the blockade by squatting on the road, police sources said.
The protesters shouted slogans against BJD and Chief minister Naveen Patnaik accusing them of being vindictive as OJM has raised its voice against the wrong deeds of the state government. This apart, they were demanding immediate release of their leader Babu.
Babu was arrested by the vigilance sleuths on May one on charges of defrauding the state cooperative banks to the tune of over Rs 36 crore, sources said.
Later, the blockade was withdrawn after police intervention.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- DNA: What the MTCR membership actually means for India?
- WATCH: More like Messi! Three most-talked about penalty misses by legendary footballers
- Crashed EgyptAir plane's data recorder repaired
- Six people found dead in Jharkhand; Maoist's role suspected
- Mexico police, troops `routinely` rape arrested women: Amnesty
- `India wants normalisation with Pakistan on its terms`