Odisha Jan Morcha activists block road
Jajpur (Odisha): Activists of Odisha Jan Morcha (OJM) on Saturday blocked Kolkata-Chennai National Highway on the outskirts of Jaraka in Jajpur district demanding immediate release of party secretary general Jagneswar Babu, who was arrested recently.
Vehicular traffic between Panikoili and Cuttack was disrupted for sometimes following the road blockade.
Local leaders and workers of OJM led by its Dharmasala convener Pravakar Nayak tried to enforce the blockade by squatting on the road, police sources said.
The protesters shouted slogans against BJD and Chief minister Naveen Patnaik accusing them of being vindictive as OJM has raised its voice against the wrong deeds of the state government. This apart, they were demanding immediate release of their leader Babu.
Babu was arrested by the vigilance sleuths on May one on charges of defrauding the state cooperative banks to the tune of over Rs 36 crore, sources said.
Later, the blockade was withdrawn after police intervention.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- Big clash of 2016: Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' head on with Prabhas and SS Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' at the Box Office?