Odisha Jan Morcha activists block road
Jajpur (Odisha): Activists of Odisha Jan Morcha (OJM) on Saturday blocked Kolkata-Chennai National Highway on the outskirts of Jaraka in Jajpur district demanding immediate release of party secretary general Jagneswar Babu, who was arrested recently.
Vehicular traffic between Panikoili and Cuttack was disrupted for sometimes following the road blockade.
Local leaders and workers of OJM led by its Dharmasala convener Pravakar Nayak tried to enforce the blockade by squatting on the road, police sources said.
The protesters shouted slogans against BJD and Chief minister Naveen Patnaik accusing them of being vindictive as OJM has raised its voice against the wrong deeds of the state government. This apart, they were demanding immediate release of their leader Babu.
Babu was arrested by the vigilance sleuths on May one on charges of defrauding the state cooperative banks to the tune of over Rs 36 crore, sources said.
Later, the blockade was withdrawn after police intervention.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal