Odisha manages power crisis, thanks to hydel units
Bhubaneswar: As many states continued to struggle in darkness due to unprecedented grid collapse on Tuesday, Odisha managed to restore electricity in 70 per cent area within three hours.
Odisha Energy Minister Atanu S Nayak told PTI, "We have been able to provide power to consumers in less then 3 hours of the eastern grid collapse by drawing electricity from different hydro-power generation stations, captive power plants and state`s own thermal units.
"We immediately supplied power to Railways on priority basis as passengers are standard at many stations," he said adding the state government had also supplied power to thermal electricity generation centres of NTPC at Kanhia and Talcher for it to `start up`.
"We have decided to go for periodic power cuts in certain areas till the situation normalises," he said.
Claiming that most of the 30 districts of the state were now being supplied electricity, the minister, however, admitted that Balasore, Bhadrak, Keonjhar and Mayurbhanj districts were in darkness.
The state government was optimistic of restoring normalcy very soon after generation of power from NTPC`s thermal units began, he said.
While the state was availing about 900 MW from different hydel power units, it got about 400 MW from captive generation plants. About 380 MW of power was also availed from state`s own thermal power plant at Ib valley area.
The state requires another 1,000 MW during peak hours which it gets from the eastern grid and central pool.
Asked about restoration of power, Nayak said, "Once NTPC`s Kanhia and Talcher thermal power units become operational, we will get the total generation as power cannot be sent to any other state under the prevailing situation."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price