Odisha Maoist attack: 6 including 1 cop injured
Sambalpur (Odisha): A special operation group (SOG) jawan was seriously injured after being shot at during an exchange of fire between police and Maoists in a forest in Odisha`s Subarnapur district on Tuesday, police said.
The exchange of fire ensued during a combing operation in the Patrapalli-Jharbahali forests under Ulunda police station, about 70 km from here, they said.
Arms including one SLR, four rifles, a hand grenade, a pistol besides other materials being used by the ultras were seized from the spot, DIG (Western Range), Sanjay Kumar said.
On a tip-off that Maoists active in Chattisgarh and Jharkhand had set up many camps in the area, the SOG with the help of local police had launched a combing operation in the area when they encountered retaliation which continued for a long time. However, the ultras succeeded in retreating into the forests, the sources said.
Combing operation in the area had been intensified and senior officials including superintendent of police, Subarnapur, N Sekhar had rushed to the spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan