Odisha: Maoists kill BJD ward member
Nabarangpur: About a year after killing a BJD MLA, Maoists shot dead a ward member of the ruling party suspecting him to be a police informer in Odisha`s Nabarangpur district.
The police said today that Lahidas Gond, ward member of Rajpur village under Kunduku grampanchayat of Raighar block, was carried off by four armed Maoists from his house last evening and shot dead.
The Meinpur Divisional Committee of the Maoists, under which the Raighar block falls, claimed responsibility for the killing, according to a poster left near the body by them.
Soon after the incident, the Officer-in-charge of Kundei police station Salil Pradhan along with a force rushed to the spot.
After a post-mortem was done on Gond, the body was handed over to his family members.
Maoists struck in the district about an year after the September 24, 2011 attack when BJD MLA of Umerkote Jagabandhu Majhi along with his PSO Pinku Patro were killed at Gona village in Raighar Block.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- Facebook doesn't pose threat: YouTube