Odisha: Maoists prevent holding gram sabha meetings
Koraput: In a setback to the administration, Maoists have stalled holding gram sabha meetings in four panchayat areas in the Naxal-hit areas of Koraput district in Odisha.
"We had spread awareness about the objective of gram sabha meetings. Villagers were urged to attend the meetings, but they didn`t turn up, apparently to avoid naxal wrath. This happened in at least four panchayat areas recently," project director of District Rural Development Agency, Koraput, Chudamani Seth said today.
The officials, who had reached the meeting venues, returned without conducting any meeting, he said.
Out of 226 panchayats of the district, gram sabha meetings could not be held at Borgi and Langalbeda panchayats of Narayanpatna block, Kaberibadi panchayat of Bandhugaon and Onkadelli panchayat of Lamtaput block, officials said.
Ahead of the meetings, Maoists had put up posters at several places in Narayanpatna, Bandhugaon and Lamtaput blocks asking locals to boycott the meetings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- 'Mann Ki Baat': PM Narendra Modi to address nation today, may talk to Army jawans
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015