Odisha mining: Congress welcomes SC verdict
Bhubaneswar: The Supreme Court`s judgment of stalling Vedanta`s proposed bauxite mining in Niyamgiri Hills Thursday evoked mixed response in Odisha with opposition Congress welcoming it while the state government said it would wait for a copy of the verdict.
The Apex court earlier in the day has stalled the bauxite mining in Niyamgiri Hills till gram sabhas in the districts of Kalahandi and Rayagada have given their approval.
"We`ll await the report of the Apex court. We do not have the report yet," Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik told reporters on the sideline of a function here.
BJP state chief K V Singhdeo said "the state government should respect the SC`s judgement and hold gram sabas in the affected areas without further delay."
Union Minister of State, Chemicals and Fertiliser Srikant Jena and Congress MP Pradeep Majhi said "it is a historic judgement. The Apex court has reaffirmed tribals` rights on natural resources like land, water, forest and hills.
Majhi said they were opposed to mining in Niyamgiri Hills. "But, we have no problem if Vedanta is allowed to undertake bauxite mining in other places."
Jena also said "I believe that the tribal people will also oppose mining in Niyamgiri Hills at the gram sabhas. I demand scarping of the agreement between the state government and Vedanta for mining in Niyamgiri Hills."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly