Odisha mining: Congress welcomes SC verdict
Bhubaneswar: The Supreme Court`s judgment of stalling Vedanta`s proposed bauxite mining in Niyamgiri Hills Thursday evoked mixed response in Odisha with opposition Congress welcoming it while the state government said it would wait for a copy of the verdict.
The Apex court earlier in the day has stalled the bauxite mining in Niyamgiri Hills till gram sabhas in the districts of Kalahandi and Rayagada have given their approval.
"We`ll await the report of the Apex court. We do not have the report yet," Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik told reporters on the sideline of a function here.
BJP state chief K V Singhdeo said "the state government should respect the SC`s judgement and hold gram sabas in the affected areas without further delay."
Union Minister of State, Chemicals and Fertiliser Srikant Jena and Congress MP Pradeep Majhi said "it is a historic judgement. The Apex court has reaffirmed tribals` rights on natural resources like land, water, forest and hills.
Majhi said they were opposed to mining in Niyamgiri Hills. "But, we have no problem if Vedanta is allowed to undertake bauxite mining in other places."
Jena also said "I believe that the tribal people will also oppose mining in Niyamgiri Hills at the gram sabhas. I demand scarping of the agreement between the state government and Vedanta for mining in Niyamgiri Hills."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof