Odisha Minister faces protest in constituency
Berhampur: Odisha`s Revenue Minister Surya Narayan Patro faced protest in his constituency Digapahandi in Ganjam district on way to a function along with Health Minister Damodar Rout.
People, including Panchayat Raj Institution members of eight gram panchayats under Kukudakhandi block staged a dharna near the gate of the block office, preventing entry of the revenue minister during his visit yesterday.
Residents of Nimakhandi, Borigaon, Gurunthi, Ankushapur, Mahuda, Dengapadar, Kukudakhandi and Baulajhari were protesting alleged irregularities in sanction of old-age pension in their panchayats, police sources said.
The ministers along with Gopalpur MLA Pradeep Kumar Panigrahi, were there to inaugurate a newly-constructed tehsil office building and unveil a statue of Biju Patnayak. Patro attended the function after sub-collector (Berhampur) BK Das intervened and pacified the agitators.
"We have prepared a list of beneficiaries. The list was submitted to BDO. But old-age pension was not sanctioned according to the list", alleged Ankushapur sarpanch Bidyadhar Jana.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'