Odisha minister operated upon, out of danger
Bhubaneswar: Odisha Toursim and Culture Minister Maheswar Mohanty was on Saturday operated upon and the bullet lodged in his ribs removed after he was shot at by assailants in his Puri constituency.
The condition of the 59-year-old minister is stable and “he is out of danger”, hospital sources said.
The minister was in the intensive care unit of the private hospital after the surgery by a team of four doctors.
Mohanty on Friday night sustained bullet injuries on his left arm and back when the attackers, who were apparently following him on a two-wheeler, opened fire at him in a narrow lane near his house in Puri, police said.
He was rushed to a hospital in Puri and subsequently shifted to Bhubaneswar.
Superintendent of Police, Puri, said investigation was in progress and some people were being interrogated.
A host of leaders including Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik visited the hospital and wished him speedy recovery.
Patnaik has asked the police to take steps to apprehend the attackers at the earliest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?