Odisha mulls to cancel Driving Licence of drunkard
Bhubaneswar: With an average of 3,500
people killed and above 10,000 injured in road accidents every
year in the state, Odisha government was contemplating to
bring a legislation to cancel driving licence of drunkard
drivers for the life time, official sources said on Wednesday.
This was revealed by the secretary of Commerce and
Transport department Gagan Kumar Dhal here.
"Driving licences of drivers consuming alcohol will be
cancelled if it is proved that they drove in drunken state,"
Stating that about 60 per cent of road mishaps takes
place due to driving under influence of alcohol, Dhal said
that a tough rule could help in reducing the rate of accidents
in the state.
The state witnessed around 9000 plus road accidents
every year where over 3500 people were killed besides leaving
above 10,000 others injured, Chief Secretary B K Patnaik had
said while addressing a meeting of the State Level Road Safety
Week here recently.
While rash driving, overloading, untrained drivers and
poor roads are among the factors that have led to the rise in
fatal accidents, a majority of them were due to drunk driving
and human error, he pointed out.
At least 7464 people have lost their lives in road
mishaps during last two years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla