Odisha mulls to cancel Driving Licence of drunkard
Bhubaneswar: With an average of 3,500
people killed and above 10,000 injured in road accidents every
year in the state, Odisha government was contemplating to
bring a legislation to cancel driving licence of drunkard
drivers for the life time, official sources said on Wednesday.
This was revealed by the secretary of Commerce and
Transport department Gagan Kumar Dhal here.
"Driving licences of drivers consuming alcohol will be
cancelled if it is proved that they drove in drunken state,"
Stating that about 60 per cent of road mishaps takes
place due to driving under influence of alcohol, Dhal said
that a tough rule could help in reducing the rate of accidents
in the state.
The state witnessed around 9000 plus road accidents
every year where over 3500 people were killed besides leaving
above 10,000 others injured, Chief Secretary B K Patnaik had
said while addressing a meeting of the State Level Road Safety
Week here recently.
While rash driving, overloading, untrained drivers and
poor roads are among the factors that have led to the rise in
fatal accidents, a majority of them were due to drunk driving
and human error, he pointed out.
At least 7464 people have lost their lives in road
mishaps during last two years.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents