Odisha offers to stop operation if Panda surrenders
Bhubaneswar: Odisha Police on Monday offered to stop their search operation for absconding Odisha Maovadi Party (OMP) founder Sabyasachi Panda if he agreed to surrender.
Yesterday, Panda had said that he was hiding safely in the state.
"We appeal to Panda to shun violence and surrender. If he gives indication of surrender, there is no need of continuing operation in southern Odisha districts," DGP Prakash Mishra told reporters after meeting a group of senior citizens including freedom fighter Bhabani Patnaik.
Mishra also said that police would ensure that he safely returned to the mainstream.
A group of senior citizens led by Patnaik earlier held a dharna in front of Mahatma Gandhi statue here seeking peace and stop of violence both by the Maoists and police.
"We want peace to be restored. Both should stop violence," he said.
"Panda has been facing threat from his former comrades besides facing the search operation. Most of the Maoist cadres have abandoned him and his group`s present strength is only 27," he said.
"If he wants to surrender, police do not want violence," he said.
Police along with the CRPF have launched a search operation to nab Panda in the districts of Ganjam, Gajapati, Rayagada and Kandhamal since November 14 encounter. Panda had reportedly escaped from the Maoist camp when five of his associates were gunned down in the encounter.
The fugitive Maoist for whose arrest the state has already announced a reward of Rs 20 lakh, released an audio-tape to the media yesterday where he had said he and his associates were safe.
Panda, branded as one of the most wanted Maoists of the state, has been accused in different heinous crimes like attack on police armoury, attack on a jail, killing of the VHP leader Swami Laxamananda Saraswati which sparked a communal violence in Kandhamal.
Panda alias Sunil, who was the secretary of the Odisha State Organising Committee of the CPI (Maoist), had floated OMP after being expelled from the original party in August this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video