Bhawanipatna: A senior official of a private company was charred to death when a fire broke out at a guest house at Lanjigarh in Odisha`s Kalahandi district early on Sunday.
P Ganeshan of Tamil Nadu, project manager in HDO Limited, was killed in the blaze that broke out at the company`s guest house made of fibre structure in the wee hours, police sources said.
While four others staying at the guest house were rescued, Ganeshan was trapped in the fire and could not be saved, they said.
His company had been engaged on contract by Vedanta Aluminium Ltd on contract for red mud filtration work at its plant, a senior Vedanta official said.
Though exact cause of the fire was yet to be ascertained, electrical short circuit was suspected to have led to the incident, sources said.