Odisha on high alert over cyclone threat
Bhubaneswar: Odisha has asked the collectors of 14 districts to be on high alert as a depression formed over the Bay of Bengal could intensify into a cyclonic storm and hit the state coast, officials said on Wednesday.
The government has directed the collectors of cyclone prone districts, including the coastal districts of Balasore, Jagatsinghpur, Kendrapada, Bhadrak, Puri and Ganjam, not to take the warning lightly and asked them to prepare their plan at ground level.
"We are monitoring the situation. As the cyclone gets closer, we will issue fresh alerts," state`s special relief commissioner Pradeep Kumar Mohapatra said.
He said the National Disaster Response Force, Odisha Disaster Rapid Action Force and Fire Department have also been asked to remain prepared for rescue and relief operation.
The state has also written to the central government requesting them to keep choppers ready, he said
The depression has formed over the north-Andaman Sea and was centred about 1250 km east-southeast of Paradip, in the state`s Jagatsinghpur district, an official of the Bhubaneswar Meteorological Centre said.
The system would intensify into a deep depression and further into a cyclonic storm, the official said.
It would move west-northwestwards towards Andhra Pradesh and Odisha coast and may make a landfall on October 12 evening or night, he said.
The Bhubaneswar Meteorological Centre has advised fishermen not to venture into the Bay of Bengal.
Paradip and Gopalpur ports have been asked to hoist Distant Cautionary Signal Number One, he said.
Many areas in Odisha are likely to experience widespread rainfall. A few places will experience heavy to very heavy rainfall during the next two days, the Met official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters