Odisha: Pall of gloom descend at Pandara street
Berhampur (Odisha): Neighbours have no words to console 60-year-old Sarojini Padhy, who has lost her husband, three sons and a daughter, in a suspected "food poisoning" incident.
Sarojini`s house in Pandara street here was a happy home till Sunday morning, until tragedy struck. Her husband, three sons and daughter complained of severe stomach pain, which proved fatal.
Her eldest son, Prasanta, fell ill on Monday and is battling for life at MKCG Medical College and Hospital.
They had all eaten `chakuli pitha` (a special food item of Odisha) on Saturday night, while Prasanta had it on Sunday morning. Sarojini did not have the food. Doctors suspect the family members died of food poisoning.
Sarojini refused to narrate the incident. "My life has no meaning now," she said.
As fate would have it, there was no family member to cremate the deceased. Some local youths pitched in. "A happy family was ruined within two days," said Badri Narayan Nayak, a social activist of the area.
While the sons were into fast food and soft drink business, her daughter, a school-dropout, used to help in household chores. Sarojini`s husband Bhubani Padhy helped his sons in business. One of her married daughters has arrived in town, while another settled in Bangalore is expected to arrive soon.
"Some poisonous insect might have infected the `pitha` batter," said a neighbour. The batter is prepared in the open by grinding black gram and rice with stones, he added.
Doctors are trying to ascertain the exact cause of death. "It can be known only after the viscera tests of the deceased are carried out," said superintendent of the medical college AK Behera.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title