Odisha panchayat polls: 69.4 % vote in last phase
Bhubaneswar: Over 69 percent voters on Sunday exercised their franchise in fifth and last phase of Odisha
panchayat polls which witnessed stray incidents of violence
and booth capturing in some places.
"An estimated 69.41 percent of the 31.85 lakh electorate
voted in the final phase of panchayat elections," a State
Election Commission official said.
Nayagarh district registered the maximum voter turnout of
85 per cent, while Bargarh and Jagatsinghpur districts
recorded 77 percent polling. The turnout in Cuttack district
was 62 per cent, lowest in the state, he said.
The fifth phase of polling was held for 111 zilla parishad
zones and 806 gram panchayats spread over 48 blocks in 24
districts. The elections for first four phases had been held
on February 11, 13, 15 and 17.
Polling passed off by and large peacefully barring stray
incidents of violence and attempted booth capturing in
districts like Jajpur, Ganjam, Puri and Cuttack, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Great Red Spot the source of heat on Jupiter: Scientists
- Lloyds to cut 3,000 jobs, close more branches after Brexit shock
- Chhattisgarh IAS officer claims 94% of death row convicts are Dalits, Muslims, triggers row
- Mahasweta Devi—A voice of the oppressed
- No objection to Rajnath attending SAARC meeting in Pak: Congress