Odisha: Pipli gangrape victim dies in hospital
Bhubaneswar: A woman, who was allegedly gangraped in Odisha last year, on Thursday died in a government hospital in Cuttack, around 26 km from here, after undergoing treatment for more than six months, an official said.
The woman died of heart stroke, septicemia, a severe infection and other complications, Bhubanananda Moharana, superintendent of Sriram Chandra Bhanja Medical College and Hospital, where she was undergoing treatment, told reporters.
The woman was allegedly gangraped on Nov 28 by some people near her village, Arjunagoda, 10 km from Bhubaneswar.
The incident came to light when the woman was initially denied proper treatment at different hospitals.
The case created a political storm, prompting Agriculture Minister Pradeep Maharathy to resign on Jan 19 on moral grounds after the opposition parties and the woman`s family alleged that he was protecting her attackers.
According to the family, the woman was gangraped by a group of men who had earlier assaulted her in 2008 and against whom she had filed a molestation case.
The gangrape is still being investigated, six months after the incident, by the crime branch and a one-man judicial commission headed by a retired judge of the Orissa High Court.
The crime branch has so far arrested four people in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...