Odisha: Pipli gangrape victim dies in hospital
Bhubaneswar: A woman, who was allegedly gangraped in Odisha last year, on Thursday died in a government hospital in Cuttack, around 26 km from here, after undergoing treatment for more than six months, an official said.
The woman died of heart stroke, septicemia, a severe infection and other complications, Bhubanananda Moharana, superintendent of Sriram Chandra Bhanja Medical College and Hospital, where she was undergoing treatment, told reporters.
The woman was allegedly gangraped on Nov 28 by some people near her village, Arjunagoda, 10 km from Bhubaneswar.
The incident came to light when the woman was initially denied proper treatment at different hospitals.
The case created a political storm, prompting Agriculture Minister Pradeep Maharathy to resign on Jan 19 on moral grounds after the opposition parties and the woman`s family alleged that he was protecting her attackers.
According to the family, the woman was gangraped by a group of men who had earlier assaulted her in 2008 and against whom she had filed a molestation case.
The gangrape is still being investigated, six months after the incident, by the crime branch and a one-man judicial commission headed by a retired judge of the Orissa High Court.
The crime branch has so far arrested four people in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing