Odisha: Pipli gangrape victim dies in hospital
Bhubaneswar: A woman, who was allegedly gangraped in Odisha last year, on Thursday died in a government hospital in Cuttack, around 26 km from here, after undergoing treatment for more than six months, an official said.
The woman died of heart stroke, septicemia, a severe infection and other complications, Bhubanananda Moharana, superintendent of Sriram Chandra Bhanja Medical College and Hospital, where she was undergoing treatment, told reporters.
The woman was allegedly gangraped on Nov 28 by some people near her village, Arjunagoda, 10 km from Bhubaneswar.
The incident came to light when the woman was initially denied proper treatment at different hospitals.
The case created a political storm, prompting Agriculture Minister Pradeep Maharathy to resign on Jan 19 on moral grounds after the opposition parties and the woman`s family alleged that he was protecting her attackers.
According to the family, the woman was gangraped by a group of men who had earlier assaulted her in 2008 and against whom she had filed a molestation case.
The gangrape is still being investigated, six months after the incident, by the crime branch and a one-man judicial commission headed by a retired judge of the Orissa High Court.
The crime branch has so far arrested four people in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch