Odisha police arrest 7 hardcore Maoists from Koraput
Koraput: The Odisha Police have arrested seven Maoists with huge cache of explosives during a combing operation launched against the ultras in Murlaput forest under Laxmipur block of Koraput district.
The Maoists, belonging to Srikakulam-Koraput division of Naxalites bordering Andhra Pradesh, were nabbed during a joint combing by BSF and district voluntary force (DVF) in the forests near Murlaput under Laxmipur police station.
Deputy Inspector General of Police, S Devadatta Singh, said that the police and security forces swung into action as soon as they received information about the presence of the insurgents.
"We had received information that in Murlaput forest under Laxmipur police station, the insurgents were planning to harm the security forces and locals. The police and security forces swung into action. Seven Maoists were arrested and we have seized huge cache of explosives including wire, flash which they could used to spread violence," said Singh.
Two country-made guns, a camera flash, over 100 meters of wire, adopters, gunpowder and some Maoist literature were seized from them, the police said.
All the arrested Maoists were experts in planting of landmines, IEDs and executing ambush of security personnel, Kumar quoted them as confessing during interrogation.
In the last few years, the rebels have stepped up their efforts against the government as well as the locals, after the latter complained that Maoist activities such as killings and abductions increased considerably in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!