Odisha police arrest 7 hardcore Maoists from Koraput
Koraput: The Odisha Police have arrested seven Maoists with huge cache of explosives during a combing operation launched against the ultras in Murlaput forest under Laxmipur block of Koraput district.
The Maoists, belonging to Srikakulam-Koraput division of Naxalites bordering Andhra Pradesh, were nabbed during a joint combing by BSF and district voluntary force (DVF) in the forests near Murlaput under Laxmipur police station.
Deputy Inspector General of Police, S Devadatta Singh, said that the police and security forces swung into action as soon as they received information about the presence of the insurgents.
"We had received information that in Murlaput forest under Laxmipur police station, the insurgents were planning to harm the security forces and locals. The police and security forces swung into action. Seven Maoists were arrested and we have seized huge cache of explosives including wire, flash which they could used to spread violence," said Singh.
Two country-made guns, a camera flash, over 100 meters of wire, adopters, gunpowder and some Maoist literature were seized from them, the police said.
All the arrested Maoists were experts in planting of landmines, IEDs and executing ambush of security personnel, Kumar quoted them as confessing during interrogation.
In the last few years, the rebels have stepped up their efforts against the government as well as the locals, after the latter complained that Maoist activities such as killings and abductions increased considerably in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark