Odisha: Police atrocity against dalit youth alleged
Bhadrak: Residents of Sananahunipala village in Odisha`s Bhadrak district staged a demonstration at a police station on Thursday alleging police atrocity against a dalit youth.
The villagers alleged that an assistant sub-inspector and four other policemen of Tihidi assaulted the youth Sashikant Das when he went to the police station last night.
The youth was seriously injured and shifted to the district headquarter hospital here, they said.
The youth`s uncle Rangadhara Das filed an FIR. Inspector In-Charge, Sriballava Sahoo, however, alleged that the youth and four others entered the police station in a drunken state and abused the police, which led to a quarrel. He claimed that the youth was injured during the quarrel.
The villagers withdrew the agitation after Chandabali DSP Bauribandhu Behera and Tihidi BDO Birokishore Panigrahi rushed to police station and assured the villagers that the matter would be thoroughly probed.
The police also registered a criminal case against Sashikanta and four others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY