Odisha: Police rescue infant, mother refuses to ta
Jajpur (Odisha): The police Tuesday rescued a baby boy from Odisha`s Cuttack district sold by his mother for Rs 5000 to raise money for release of her jailed husband, but she refused to take him back.
The Jajpur police, at the direction of the Orissa High Court, rescued the baby from Nuapatana village after raids in the Choudwar area, inspector-in-charge of Jajpur Road police station Aswini Kumar Sahu said.
The police handed over the 17-month-old baby, sold two weeks ago, to its mother, a daily wage earner, as directed by the high court, but she refused to take him back, Sahu said.
"The baby boy is fine. We first handed him over to his mother. But, she refused to take him. We then handed him over to the Child Welfare Committee at Jajpur town," he said.
A division bench of the high court comprising Chief Justice V Gopala Gowda and Justice B K Mishra on Friday took suo moto cognizance of media reports on the sale of the baby boy by his mother.
Twenty-year-old Rakhi Patra of Mundamala village in Jajpur district sold her son to a man named Babula Behera in Cuttack district on September 17.
Rakhi`s husband Manoj Patra, also a daily wage earner, was arrested two months ago in a theft case and is in Ragadi jail in Jajpur district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed