Odisha Police salutes slain BSF jawans, aims "Zero Casualty"
Bhubaneswar: Paying rich tributes to slain BSF jawans who lost their lives while fighting against Left Wing Extremists in Koraput districts, Odisha police today said it would work to ensure "zero casualty" of security personnel in the coming days.
"We will work out a plan to make the police casualty zero in coming days," Director General of Police Prakash Mishra said at a function marking Police Commemoration Day at Cuttack.
Saluting the unusual bravery and valor of the BSF jawans who died in an ambush by Maoists in July this year, the DGP said only 14 members of the central para military force could keep the much larger number of Maoists at bay till reinforcement arrived at a ghat area in Koraput district.
While four BSF jawans were killed in the incident, three others sustained injuries.
Stating that the brave jawans of BSF team not only managed to keep the maoists at bay, the DGP said, they were also successful in taking their injured colleagues out and send them to hospital while exchanging fire. Because of their bravery, maoists failed to loot arms in the ambush, he pointed out.
Mishra said number of deaths of security forces has declined substantially, particularly in the last one and half year.
"Compared to 74 deaths of security personnel in 2008 and 34 in 2009, deaths in 2010-12 came down to around 20 (22 security personnel lost their lives in 2010, 15 in 2011 and 19 in 2012. In 2013, it has further come down to five till October," the DGP said.
"It is now clear that since the Maoists are not able to succeed against the armed police officers because of the better tactic, training and precautions, they are now targeting helpless Gram Rakhis, home guards and special police officers in their villages," the DGP said
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Counting underway - Big prestige battle for BJP and Shiv Sena
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena marches ahead in Mumbai, but BJP gains lead in Pune, Nashik