Odisha prepares for erratic monsoon
Bhubaneswar: Odisha, the country`s seventh largest producer of paddy, has prepared a contingency plan to deal with deficient rains this monsoon.
"We have a contingency plan of corrective measures in collaboration with Odisha University of Technology," S Santhanagopalan, director of the state`s agriculture and food production department, told IANS.
"The plans are to deal with an early drought or a medium drought. Early drought means farmers can go for short duration paddy. Medium drought means farmers can go for pulses. But if the drought hits late, nothing can be done," he said.
The weather office has predicted the state may get below normal monsoon rain this season.
"If there is going to be an uniform six percent deficit over all over the state, we have nothing to worry. However, if there is a deficit in July, farmers will have to go for short duration paddy," he said.
The state has already witnessed a deficit rain in June. Although many places witnessed rain or thunder shower both Tuesday and Wednesday, the southwest monsoon, the life line of agriculture, is expected to hit the state in a day or two.
"We have started stocking short duration paddy for distribution to farmers if there is a failure in July," he said.
Odisha produced an all time high of 9.3 million tonnes of paddy in 2013-14 against six million tonnes it was producing about 10 years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price