Odisha protests diesel price hike
Bhubaneswar: Non-Congress parties on Friday staged protests in various parts of Odisha against hike in the price of diesel and restrictions on supply of subsidised cooking gas cylinders.
The government on Thursday announced a hike in diesel price by Rs 5 a litre and capped supply of subsidised cooking gas cylinders to six per family per year. The decisions came into effect midnight Thursday.
In the state capital Bhubaneswar, hundreds of workers and leaders of the ruling Biju Janata Dal (BJD) took out a procession against the central government and demanded immediate rollback of the decision.
The protestors also burnt effigies of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi.
"The hike in diesel price would further make the situation worse for common people who have been struggling against high inflation and price-rise of essential commodities," BJD vice-president Damodar Rout said.
"We want an immediate rollback of the decision. While hike in diesel price will hit transport sector and impact everybody, the restriction on cooking gas cylinder will hurt lower and middle class families," he added.
The Left parties and the Bharatiya Janata Party also organised separate protests in Bhubaneswar and Cuttack.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch