Odisha punishes eight officials fraud
Bhubaneswar: Eight officials of a state-owned cooperative bank in Odisha have been punished for their involvement in financial frauds, Cooperation Department Secretary Bishnupada Sethi said Saturday.
Six officials have been dismissed from service, while two were demoted. They were found to be involved in fraud, misappropriation and dishonesty in the Odisha State Cooperative Bank (OSCB), Sethi told IANS.
Those who lost their jobs are: deputy general managers Satyanarayan Panda and Bhaskar Chandra Hota, assistant general manager Nimain Chand Jena, managers BB Senapati and Himanshu Sekhar Das and junior assistant Sarat Chandra Jena, he said.
Two officials who were demoted are Debabrata Ghosh and Harihar Mallick. While Ghosh has been demoted from assistant general manager to manager, Mallik has been demoted from manager to assistant manager, he said.
"A fraud of a total of Rs 70 crore was committed by them during last five years. The cases are being investigated by the economic offence wing of the crime branch police and vigilance department," Sethi said.
The OSCB is a Rs 12,000 crore state-supported cooperative bank which has been rewarded by the national level organisations from time to time for its professional approach and the performance par excellence.
"The erring employees were responsible for tarnishing the image of this organization", he said.
"These exemplary punishment would emit a signal to all other employees in the cooperative credit structure not to resort to fraudulent activities in a banking organization," said Sethi who is also the bank`s management-in-charge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says