Odisha rape case: Activists, parties protest
Bhubaneswar: The head of the Odisha women`s commission has come in for criticism over the panel`s report on an alleged gang rape victim with opposition parties and activists Tuesday demanding her resignation.
A delegation comprising leaders of five political parties, including Communist Party of India (CPI), Communist party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) and Samajwadi party Tuesday submitted a memorandum to Governor MC Bhandare demanding the resignation of commission chairperson Jyoti Panigrahi.
The women`s wings of both opposition Congress and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) staged protests separately and activists burnt copies of the commission report submitted to the government.
Panigrahi drew the ire of opposition and social activists after the panel report stated that it was wrong to describe the 19-year-old who is in coma as a victim of rape without any credible evidence.
"I verified the complaints lodged with the police by the family members (of the victim). I also examined the medical examination reports. There was no mention of any rape," Panigrahi told reporters.
Opposition parties and activists have slammed her saying the commission chairperson has tried to favour her political masters.
"The victim`s mother had on camera said her daughter was gang raped," Sukeshi Oram, former member of National Commission for Women and a BJP leader, told IANS.
"Other family members of the victim have also said police did not register their complaints. We are surprised how the commission chairperson can dismiss those facts," she said.
Oram said a team led by her also submitted a memorandum to the governor seeking removal of the chairperson as she "has abused her official position".
The 19-year-old victim has been in a state of coma after she was allegedly gangraped Nov 28 by some people near her village Arjunagoda, barely 10 km from this capital city.
Her family alleged the rapists were the same people who had assaulted her in 2008 and against whom she had put up a determined fight in court in a molestation case.
Although she was admitted to a local hospital Nov 29, and subsequently shifted to other hospitals, the shocking incident came to light only recently when the girl was denied proper treatment and some journalists reported about the incident.
The alleged gang rape has created a political storm, prompting Agriculture Minister Pradeep Maharathy to resign Jan 19 on moral grounds after the opposition and the girl`s family alleged he was protecting her attackers.
The state commission for women in its report to the government 31 Jan blamed the doctors but spared police and ruling party politicians.
"(If) proper steps in due time had been taken by the physicians of different hospitals, the health condition of the victim would not have deteriorated," commission chairperson Panigrahi had observed in her report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly