Odisha rejects MHA remark on Naxal violence
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 14:02
  
Bhubaneswar: Rejecting the Centre's charge that Odisha failed to contain Left wing extremism, the state's Director General of Police on Tuesday claimed that Naxal violence had declined in 2011 compared to the year before.

"Naxal situation in most parts of the state had been controlled while it was a cause of concern for the state government in areas bordering Chhattisgarh," DGP Manmohan Praharaj wrote to Union Home Secretary R K Singh.

Claiming that Naxal activity in Malkangiri district was well under control, he said the Kalinga Nagar division of the CPI (Maoist) was no longer active.

Earlier, it was active in Keonjhar, Jajpur and Dhenkanal districts.

Similarly, Naxal violence had also declined in the districts of Sambalpur, Deogarh and Sundergarh, the DGP said but admitted that Narayanpatna area in Koraput district, parts of Kandhamal district and areas bordering Chhattisgarh had been a "cause of concern".

The districts bordering Chhattisgarh where Naxal violence had increased comprised Nuapada, Balangir and Bargarh.

"We have expedited anti-Maoist operation in such areas," Praharaj said.

The Home Ministry had in a communication to the DGP and Principal Secretary (Home) of Odisha government referred to an "alarming" rise in the activities of Maoists and blamed the government for it.

"Odisha is the only state in India where activities of CPI (Maoists) are spreading to new areas at an alarming rate without requisite counter-measures by the state government," the missive had said.

PTI


First Published: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 14:02


comments powered by Disqus