‘Odisha responded well to Naxal demands’
Bhubaneswar: As Odisha government was grappling with the twin abductions involving an MLA and a foreigner, one of the mediators nominated by Maoists on Monday said the state responded `reasonably well` to Naxal demands.
"Keeping in view the prevailing situation, Odisha government is responding reasonably well and properly to the demands of the abductors," Dr B D Sharma said over phone after leaving the state capital on conclusion of the 15-day long negotiation with the government.
Sharma and another Maoist-nominated mediator Dandapani Mohanty signed in a joint statement here.
Sharma, a prominent tribal rights activist, was one of the two engaged by ultras to negotiate or release of Italian national Paolo Bosusco and Claudio Colangelo.
Both the Italian nationals were abducted by Maoists on March 14 while they were on a trekking expedition in Kandhamal district. While Colangelo was released on March 25, Basusco continues to remain in Maoist captivity till this date.
"We have been appealing to the Maoists to immediately release the lone Italian as the government has already decided to release certain persons and assured to take steps on the other demands of the Naxals," Sharma said.
Sharma pointed out that the state had agreed to consider implementation of the Excise Policy in tribal areas, raise level of administration in Scheduled Areas, take steps for rehabilitation of mass displacement affected people and some other issues relating to governance in scheduled area including land issues.
The former bureaucrat said that the state government had already announced its decision on facilitating release of 27 persons including eight Maoists from different jails. The government have agreed to facilitate release of five persons for release of Italian national, he said.
Asked about Odisha State Organising Committee of CPI(Maoist) secretary Sabyasachi Panda`s demand for release of another person and clarification on other demands, Sharma said, "They should release the hostage immediately without further delay."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you