Odisha School building roof caves in, students saf
Kendrapara: More than 100 school children had a close shave on Monday as an extended portion of the roof of a government-run school building caved in at Uttar Jamboo village under Mahakadpada police station, official sources said.
The incident occurred in the afternoon at Ramani Ranjan Upper Primary School in the village when children were inside the classrooms.
None of the students or teachers was injured in the mishap.
"The 20-foot long concrete structure fell off from the frontal portion of the roof. It generated a big sound. The children got panicky", said Bijoy Nath, sub inspector of schools.
Classes were suspended for the day after the incident.
District Collector Niranjan Nayak said "the schools and mass education department authorities have been asked to probe the quality of construction of the school building. The officials have also been asked to assess whether the existing school building is safe for classroom teaching".
The school-cum-cyclone shed at Uttar Jamboo had been built from the funding of Red Cross society in 2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security