Odisha SCW not to take up dowry case against ex-minister
Berhampur (Odisha): Odisha State Commission for Women (SCW) has ruled out taking up the dowry torture case slapped against former law minister Raghunath Mohanty and his family members by his daughter-in-law Barsa Swony Choudhury.
"Barsa has not approached us. The human rights protection cell is investigating the case and one of the accused and her husband, Raja Shree, has been arrested. The victim has also said she has full faith in police," commission chairperson Lopamudra Buxipatra said yesterday.
The SCW Chairperson was here to attend a camp court of the Commission.
While Barsa`s husband Raja Shree Mohanty was arrested by Human Rights Protection Cell on March 14 following the FIR lodged by her on March 17, four others including the ex-minister, his wife, daughter and son-in-law still remain untraced.
Buxipatra said the commission has disposed of over 3,500 cases related to dowry torture, family disputes and cheating in the last three months since she assumed office in December.
Around 8,500 cases are still pending.
"We are trying to settle the cases by conducting daily hearings and by holding camp courts at different places," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Telangana Intermediate Second Year Result 2016, Telangana TS Inter 1st Year Results 2016, Telangana BIE Class 12 Supplementary Results 2016 to be declared today; check bie.telangana.gov.in
- Dwayne Johnson to produce film adaptation of 'Son of Shaolin'
- Honda to launch City-based hatchback soon
- BJP publication dares ally Sena to take 'divorce'
- Brabus's 850PS S-Class is the world's fastest cabriolet