Odisha SCW not to take up dowry case against ex-minister
Berhampur (Odisha): Odisha State Commission for Women (SCW) has ruled out taking up the dowry torture case slapped against former law minister Raghunath Mohanty and his family members by his daughter-in-law Barsa Swony Choudhury.
"Barsa has not approached us. The human rights protection cell is investigating the case and one of the accused and her husband, Raja Shree, has been arrested. The victim has also said she has full faith in police," commission chairperson Lopamudra Buxipatra said yesterday.
The SCW Chairperson was here to attend a camp court of the Commission.
While Barsa`s husband Raja Shree Mohanty was arrested by Human Rights Protection Cell on March 14 following the FIR lodged by her on March 17, four others including the ex-minister, his wife, daughter and son-in-law still remain untraced.
Buxipatra said the commission has disposed of over 3,500 cases related to dowry torture, family disputes and cheating in the last three months since she assumed office in December.
Around 8,500 cases are still pending.
"We are trying to settle the cases by conducting daily hearings and by holding camp courts at different places," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery