Odisha: Six Maoists surrender in Malkangiri
Malkangiri: Six Maoists, involved in several Naxal operations, surrendered before the police in Odisha`s Malkangiri district on Monday "due to disillusionment with rebel activities."
The Maoists, who surrendered before the SP, were involved in a number of offences including blasting of pipeline of a private steel company, blowing up of several buildings, loot and extortions for the last five years, Malkangiri Superintendent of Police Akhileswar Singh said.
All the six Maoists belong to Ranginiguda and Raleguda areas, he said. They were also engaged in collection of information, organising meetings in remote villages and carrying messages of Maoist leaders, they said.
They were identified as Raju Hentala (43), Bhanja Hentala (35), Purushottam Khara (27), Rupa Khila (42), Tripati Khara (25) and Gopinath Pangi (28), the SP said.
The surrendered rebels said they decided to return to the mainstream to lead a normal life after realising that the Maoists had deviated from their ideology. Moreover, they suffered discrimination and ill-treatment by senior leaders, they said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list