Odisha speeds up process to secure MLA`s release
Bhubaneswar: Odisha Friday said it is speeding up the process to secure the release of Biju Janata Dal legislator Jhina Hikaka who has been held hostage by Maoists for the past 20 days.
Home Secretary U.N. Behera said steps are being taken for the release of 23 prisoners on bail, a promise the government made a few days ago in order to secure the release of the 37-year-old legislator from Laxmipur.
The government is holding talks with the lawyers of the prisoners to speed up the process, Behera told reporters.
The Andhra-Odisha border special zonal committee of the Communist Party of India-Maoist kidnapped the legislator in the district of Koraput March 24.
The group has been demanding the release of a total 30 people, including Chenda Bhusanam alias Ghasi, a rebel leader facing charges of killing more then 55 security personnel.
While the release of Ghasi is not possible as he has been facing grievous charges, the government has not taken any decision yet on other prisoners whose release was demanded later, he added.
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik Friday flew to the district headquarters town of Koraput, about 500 km from here and met the family members of Hikaka and told them about the steps the government has taken to secure his early release.
Patnaik also held discussions with officials and the leaders of his party to find out ways to end the crisis.
Patnaik, and the hostage`s family have appealed to the rebels to release Hikaka unharmed as early as possible. The rebels have however so far not responded to the latest government initiative or to the appeals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’