Odisha teacher calls a girl witch, suspended
Bhubaneswar: A woman teacher was suspended in Odisha for calling a minor girl a witch and sending her back from the school, an official said Monday.
The incident occurred Jan 2 at a government boarding school in Keonjhar district`s Telkoi village, about 250 km from here, when a seven-year-old Class 1 student came to school after Christmas holidays, District Collector S.K. Swain told reporters.
The girl`s father lodged a complaint against the school teacher when his daughter returned home.
"We suspended the teacher Sunday after the allegation was found to be true," Swain said, adding the girl was also brought back to school for studies.
Further investigation was on, he said.
The brutalities related to witchcraft, mainly against women, are common in the tribal pockets of the state. Women and girls accused of witchcraft are often killed or paraded naked.
The state has recently approved a new law to curb such crimes with provisions of imprisonment up to seven years and penalty for such offenders.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev