Odisha teacher dies after being set on fire
Bhubaneswar: A woman teacher in Odisha`s Rayagada district died on Friday, four days after she was set ablaze by an unidentified assailant for allegedly refusing to withdraw a sexual assault complaint.
"She succumbed to her injuries at a private hospital in Visakhapatnam in the neighbouring state of Andhra Pradesh where she was undergoing treatment. Her condition was critical," district Superintendent of Police Rajesh Pandit said.
Itishree Pradhan, 28, was set on fire on the night of Oct 27 after she reportedly refused to withdraw a complaint of sexual assault against local school inspector Netrananda Dandsena in July.
The incident took place in a residential government school at Tikiri in Rayagada district, about 420 km from state capital Bhubaneswar.
She was watching a television show along with some children when the assailant entered the school room, poured kerosene on her and set her on fire.
Pradhan had sustained more than 90 percent burn injuries.
The district administration has suspended Dandsena, a district inspector of schools, and also a police officer who was investigating the case.
Dandsena had been absconding ever since Pradhan filed a complaint with the police against him in July this year.
A committee against sexual harassment at the work place, which probed the allegation, had found Dandsena guilty and recommended action against him.
Police arrested Dandsena on Wednesday and are investigating if he set the teacher on fire himself or whether he had hired someone to commit the crime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- Watch video: Baby bison is attacked by a wolf – what happens next will give you goosebumps!
- Kejriwal gives one week deadline to discoms to solve outages problem
- French Open 2016: Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray through as Angelique Kerber exits
- 'Asian Century' largely depends on India, China: Pranab Mukherjee
- Beijing medals at risk for Russia after positive re-tests