Odisha to adopt disaster proofing power system
Bhubaneswar: Having suffered loss of about Rs 1,000 crore in power infrastructure due to cyclone Phailin, Odisha government has decided to take up `disaster proofing` of the system in some parts of worst-hit Ganjam district.
In the initial phase, the power distribution system would be made armoured in Berhampur, Chatrapur and Gopalpur towns, official sources said today.
The cost of the project will be around Rs 300 crore with more than one lakh consumers to reap the benefits, a senior official at the energy department said.
The idea of introducing disaster proofing system was mooted at a meeting between Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik and Power Grid Corporation of Indian Limited (PGCIL) CMD R N Nayak recently, he said.
The PGCIL, which has introduced similar system in certain cities, agreed to take up the matter in three towns in Odisha, the sources said adding the central PSU has been urged to prepare Detailed Project Report (DPR) for the three towns in Ganjam district.
Energy secretary P K Jena has, meanwhile, held discussion with PGCIL CMD and other officials on the matter.
While total underground cabling of the power lines will be a costly affair, the state government has decided to go for different options like, underground cabling, setting up of Narrow Based Lattice Structure (NBLS) Towers and putting up of H poles, which are robust to withstand gale speed of 300 plus kilometres per hour.
The very severe cyclone hit the Ganjam coast with a speed of about 220 km and virtually destroyed the power infrastructure in the district.
Meanwhile, Venkat S Tata, General Manager PGCIL had undertaken a tour to three towns in Ganjam district in order to make on the spot assessment of the situation.
With repeated cyclone hitting power infrastructure in the coastal zones of Odisha, the state government will take up `disaster proofing` of the power distribution system in phased manner, said sources.
Several coastal towns like Puri, Bhubaneswar, Cuttack, Jagatsinghpur, Kendrapada, Paradip, Jajpur, Bhadrakh and Balasore, which are facing wrath of cyclone at regular intervals needs Disaster Proofing, they said.
The state government has already prepared a detailed project report for underground cabling of power distribution lines in Puri town in view of the annual car festival in the holy town.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in