Odisha to adopt disaster proofing power system
Bhubaneswar: Having suffered loss of about Rs 1,000 crore in power infrastructure due to cyclone Phailin, Odisha government has decided to take up `disaster proofing` of the system in some parts of worst-hit Ganjam district.
In the initial phase, the power distribution system would be made armoured in Berhampur, Chatrapur and Gopalpur towns, official sources said today.
The cost of the project will be around Rs 300 crore with more than one lakh consumers to reap the benefits, a senior official at the energy department said.
The idea of introducing disaster proofing system was mooted at a meeting between Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik and Power Grid Corporation of Indian Limited (PGCIL) CMD R N Nayak recently, he said.
The PGCIL, which has introduced similar system in certain cities, agreed to take up the matter in three towns in Odisha, the sources said adding the central PSU has been urged to prepare Detailed Project Report (DPR) for the three towns in Ganjam district.
Energy secretary P K Jena has, meanwhile, held discussion with PGCIL CMD and other officials on the matter.
While total underground cabling of the power lines will be a costly affair, the state government has decided to go for different options like, underground cabling, setting up of Narrow Based Lattice Structure (NBLS) Towers and putting up of H poles, which are robust to withstand gale speed of 300 plus kilometres per hour.
The very severe cyclone hit the Ganjam coast with a speed of about 220 km and virtually destroyed the power infrastructure in the district.
Meanwhile, Venkat S Tata, General Manager PGCIL had undertaken a tour to three towns in Ganjam district in order to make on the spot assessment of the situation.
With repeated cyclone hitting power infrastructure in the coastal zones of Odisha, the state government will take up `disaster proofing` of the power distribution system in phased manner, said sources.
Several coastal towns like Puri, Bhubaneswar, Cuttack, Jagatsinghpur, Kendrapada, Paradip, Jajpur, Bhadrakh and Balasore, which are facing wrath of cyclone at regular intervals needs Disaster Proofing, they said.
The state government has already prepared a detailed project report for underground cabling of power distribution lines in Puri town in view of the annual car festival in the holy town.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days