Odisha to get its second Agriculture University: Minister
Bhubaneswar: Odisha will soon get its second Agriculture University in the poverty stricken KBK (Kalahandi-Balangir-Koraput) region of the state.
"The state is planning to establish its second Agriculture University in an area under KBK districts and the government has already made budgetary allocation for the purpose," Agriculture Minister Pradeep Maharathy said here yesterday.
The existing Odisha University of Agriculture and Technology (OUAT) could accommodate only 1,808 students in an academic year, he said.
OUAT, established on August 24, 1962, is the second oldest Agriculture University in the country. It has been discharging its triple functions of Education, Research and Extension Education Programme in an integrated manner in the field of Agriculture and Allied Sciences.
The minister said OUAT had been largely successful in fulfilling its major thrust of improving quality of academic standards in agricultural education by producing quality professionals in the field of Agriculture and Allied Sciences.
It has been generating and refining agricultural technologies by conducting demand driven as well as basic research in agriculture.
While felicitating 37 meritorious students of OUAT who have got Junior Research Fellowship of ICAR, Maharathy also said that a Veterinary University was also on the anvil.
Another College of Agriculture was being established under Xavier University, he said. Amongst 66 universities, OUAT is the first university in the country to achieve the rare record of 37 students getting JR Fellowship in an academic year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire