Odisha to get its second Agriculture University: Minister
Bhubaneswar: Odisha will soon get its second Agriculture University in the poverty stricken KBK (Kalahandi-Balangir-Koraput) region of the state.
"The state is planning to establish its second Agriculture University in an area under KBK districts and the government has already made budgetary allocation for the purpose," Agriculture Minister Pradeep Maharathy said here yesterday.
The existing Odisha University of Agriculture and Technology (OUAT) could accommodate only 1,808 students in an academic year, he said.
OUAT, established on August 24, 1962, is the second oldest Agriculture University in the country. It has been discharging its triple functions of Education, Research and Extension Education Programme in an integrated manner in the field of Agriculture and Allied Sciences.
The minister said OUAT had been largely successful in fulfilling its major thrust of improving quality of academic standards in agricultural education by producing quality professionals in the field of Agriculture and Allied Sciences.
It has been generating and refining agricultural technologies by conducting demand driven as well as basic research in agriculture.
While felicitating 37 meritorious students of OUAT who have got Junior Research Fellowship of ICAR, Maharathy also said that a Veterinary University was also on the anvil.
Another College of Agriculture was being established under Xavier University, he said. Amongst 66 universities, OUAT is the first university in the country to achieve the rare record of 37 students getting JR Fellowship in an academic year.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended