Odisha to include disabled persons under MGNREGA
Bhubaneswar: After including persons with 75 per cent disability in the subsidised Rice for Differently Abled Persons (RDP) scheme, Odisha government has decided to provide jobs to them under MGNREGA and NRLM programmes.
This has been resolved at a high level meeting chaired by Chief Secretary B K Patnaik, official sources said today.
The chief secretary has directed the women and child development and panchayati raj departments to find out provisions to include disabled persons in MGNREGA and NRLM (national rural livelihood mission) scheme.
The proposal for issuing job cards to the differently abled persons was also discussed at the meeting. Patnaik asked the officials to work out the modalities and norms for such inclusion. WCD department has also been advised to examine the permissible relaxation for formation of SHG (self help group) of differently-able persons.
People with 75 per cent disbility were being provided with 10 kgs of rice at Rs 2per kg per month. As per 2001 census there are near about 10 lakh differently-abled persons in the state with various degree of disability, they said.
From among them, till now 75,459 persons having 75 per cent or more disability level have been identified and included in the Rice for Differently-able Persons (RDP) scheme, they said adding Ganjam has recorded the highest number of such beneficiaries with inclusion of 9,058 persons followed by Balasore with inclusion of 7,922 persons and Cuttack with inclusion of 4609 persons.
Each month 744.59 mt. Of rice is being allocated for distribution among these beneficiaries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'