Odisha to launch campaign to omit duplication in voters list
Bhubaneswar: Concerned over mismatch in voters’ number and the population figure in the state, authorities have decided to launch a campaign to omit additional electors in the list, official sources said.
"We have decided to launch a campaign to delete additional voters from the list in April and May. Duplication is illegal and punishable under the law for doubling of one`s name in the voters list," Odisha Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) Mona Sharma told reporters here ahead of the National Voters Day on January 25.
Stating that, electors to population ratio is still very high at 68.66 per cent in Odisha, Sharma said it should be brought down to 61 per cent which is above 18-years-old population.
Sharma said many people have names at more than one place and the campaign would make them aware that they should come forward voluntarily to ensure their names are retained at one place.
"I hope the law abiding people of Odisha would respond to this call," she said.
The defaulters could go to respective sub-collectors office and offer their names for deletion. Most of the duplication took place due to migration, death and other related factors, she pointed out.
The CEO also said that photo coverage in the electoral roll needs to be increased from 90.48 per cent to 100 per cent in coming days. With recent revision of the voters list, Odisha`s total number of electors increased to 2.96 crore, she said, adding that out of the total number of electors in the final list, 1,53,92,115 are male and 1,42,82,315 female.
Names of 6.76 lakh electors have been deleted from the roll on account of death, shifing, repeated and missing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?