Odisha to seek two more battalions of CRPF jawans
Bhubaneswar: Odisha government will seek deployment of two additional battalions of CRPF jawans along its borders with Chhattisgarh following the the May 25 deadly Maoist attack in that state.
"Odisha government will make the demand to the Centre for two battalions of CRPF at the Chief Ministers` meeting on internal security in New Delhi on June 5," state Home Secretary U N Behera said today.
The state government, he said, felt that more security arrangement needed to be made at the border in view of the prevailing situation in Chhatisgarh and the fact that Sukma was close to Odisha`s Malkangiri district.
Odisha presently has at least seven battalions of CRPF, six battalions of BSF and one battalion of Cobra jawans, besides the state`s own special operation group and general police to deal with the Maoist menace.
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik during the day left on a five-day visit to the national capital to attend the Chief Ministers` meeting convened by Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde, where threats posed by Maoists is likely to dominate the discussions.
Patnaik is also scheduled to meet Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users