Odisha to set up fast-track courts to deal with wo
Bhubaneswar: With crime against women on the rise in the state, Odisha government Wednesday decided to take steps for setting up fast track courts to deal with cases of rape, rape and murder, dowry deaths besides making it mandatory to complete their probe within two months.
The state government took a series of decisions in this regard at a high-level meeting chaired by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik. While there was provision of framing chargesheets within 120 days in the CrPC, Patnaik directed the police to complete investigation into rape, molestation and other heinous crimes within 60 days.
"The victim of sexual assault can lodge FIR at any police station in the state not considering the jurisdiction she belongs," a senior official said quoting a decision at the meeting.
This apart, the official said that the state government also decided to open Mahila Cells at the office of all the superintendents of police (SPs) in all the districts and strengthen the Mahila and Sishu desk in all police stations.
"The government also decided to appoint new sub-inspector (SI) of police in all the 537 police stations of the state. These new SIs will specially address the complaints of women," he said adding that a special cadre of public prosecutors would be created in order to expedite cases involving woman.
Director General of Police (DGP) had been bestowed with authority to appoint special public prosecutors in women related cases, he said.
In a bid to curb the increasing trafficking of women and children in the state, the meeting resolved to strengthen the units created for the purpose. District level forensic laboratories would also be strengthened.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!