Odisha: Two sentenced to death
Nuapada (Odisha): A court in Odisha`s Nuapada district on Friday awarded capital punishment to two men for killing a woman and her daughter in February last year.
District and session judge Madhusudan Dhal convicted Manoj Bhoi and Motilal Barik for the killings at village Sihinamunda in Komna block and awarded them the death sentence.
The judge pronounced the judgement after examining 17 witnesses and evidence.
The convicts were expected to challenge the death sentence in a higher court, their counsel Bimal Kanti Bose said.
According to the prosecution, the two killed Saibani Mirdha (40) and her daughter Kaushalya (16) and assaulted family members on February 2 last year after failing to extort money from them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets