Odisha: Two sentenced to death
Nuapada (Odisha): A court in Odisha`s Nuapada district on Friday awarded capital punishment to two men for killing a woman and her daughter in February last year.
District and session judge Madhusudan Dhal convicted Manoj Bhoi and Motilal Barik for the killings at village Sihinamunda in Komna block and awarded them the death sentence.
The judge pronounced the judgement after examining 17 witnesses and evidence.
The convicts were expected to challenge the death sentence in a higher court, their counsel Bimal Kanti Bose said.
According to the prosecution, the two killed Saibani Mirdha (40) and her daughter Kaushalya (16) and assaulted family members on February 2 last year after failing to extort money from them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!