Odisha urban local polls: Voting underway
Bhubaneswar: An estimated 18 lakh voters will go to polls on Thursday in 1,968 booths to elect 1,103 ward members in 66 urban local bodies (ULBs) including one Municipal Corporation at Berhampur.
"All arrangements for conducting smooth polls have been made in 66 ULBs spread over 20 districts of Odisha. Adequate security arrangements have been made at Maoist-hit districts," State Election Commissioner (SEC) Ajit Kumar Tripathy said.
Of the total 1,968 polling booths, 561 booths have been identified as sensitive and 108 hyper-sensitive category, Tripathy said adding that superintendents of police of respective districts have been directed to take all possible steps for conducting elections in a peaceful manner.
Security has been heightened in the Maoist?infested Malkangiri, Gudari, Gunpur, Kashipur and Rayagada ULBs to thwart any untoward incident during the urban local body polls, he said.
As many as 11 platoons (330 personnel) of CRPF, DVF and SOG jawans have been deployed in the 108 hyper-sensitive booths including 28 in Rayagada and 14 in Gunpur.
Additional security arrangements were also being made in the ULBs in southern Odisha where Maoists were having a strong presence, sources said.
A total of 3893 candidates are in the fray in the 66 ULBs going to the polls. Meanwhile, the SEC had taken a series of measures to ensure free and fair poll in all the ULBs. Special squads had been deployed to prevent violation of the model code of conduct.
Tripathy said 2240 EVMs are put in 1968 booths and qualified engineers have been hired to meet requirement if any during the polling.
"In some cases CCTV cameras are fitted in some hyper sensitive booths," sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says