Odisha wants IIT, NISER to start Archaeology course
Bhubaneswar: With Odisha housing a large number of ancient monuments, including temples dating back to 10 AD, the state government has urged two premier institutes here to start advanced courses on archaeology, official sources said.
Directors of IIT and National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER) were recently invited to a meeting where Chief Secretary B K Patnaik suggested that they open such course for better conservation and preservation of ancient monuments.
The heads of Utkal University and Archaeological Survey of India joined the deliberations.
It was agreed in the meeting that there was a strong need to have an advanced and inter-disciplinary study centre for archaeology in Odisha, an official said.
There are over 3,000 ancient monuments, more than 30 excavated sites and over a dozen ancient mounds in the state. Odisha has the earliest epigraphical record in India as inscribed at Dhauli, Jaugada and Khandagiri hill,sources said.
It was deliberated at the meeting that advanced archaeology was a multi-disciplinary science encompassing subjects like civil engineering, chemistry, numismatics, fine arts, designing, geology, epigraphy, exploration, excavation along with its traditional segments like pre-history, proto-history and historical archaeology.
Experts felt there are few institutes in India which impart professional courses in allied Archaeology, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Mumbai Police recovers car used in Sheena's murder; Indrani, Sanjeev, driver to be taken to crime spot in Raigad