Odisha waves market fee on fruits, vegetables
Bhubaneswar: Odisha, one of India`s top vegetable producers, Thursday said it has deregulated fruit and vegetables from local market fees so that these can be available at lower prices to consumers.
"The government has exempted fruits and vegetable from the purview of the regulated market committees (RMCs) because these commodities are perishable and need to flow smoothly throughout the state," Bishnupada Sethi, cooperation department secretary, told IANS.
The RMCs were charging a market fee of one percent of the waybill value from the farmers and traders carrying the products at their check gates, he added.
The exemption of these items from the purview of the RMCs means no more the market committees can collect the levy from the farmers and traders, he said.
This will reduce the prices of fruits and vegetables, stop harassment of farmers and traders at the RMC check gates where some times they used to get stuck.
It will also reduce corruption besides helping the farmers and consumers, Sethi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!