Odisha welcomes royalty revision, seeks arrears since 2012
Bhubaneswar: Welcoming the Centre`s decision of revising mineral royalty, the Odisha government on Thursday demanded arrears for the state.
"We are happy that the Centre has revised the royalty of minerals. But, the state should also be given arrears for two years from 2012 to 2014," state Steel and Mines Minister Prafulla Mallick told reporters.
Political leaders cutting across party lines welcomed the Union Cabinet`s decision to revise the mineral royalties.
Leader of the Opposition Narasingha Mishra said the state could have got more money in its exchequer long back if it had accepted the proposals of the former government at the centre.
Stating that the state has benefited more than its expectation, BJP state president KV Singhdeo said: "The NDA government has fulfilled the demand and requirement of the state just within 100 days of coming to power. Modi government has been fulfilling Odisha`s demand one by one.”
The Centre has approved to hike the royalty rate on iron ore from existing 10 to 15 percent. However, there has been no change on the rates of coal and lignite.
Royalty rates for minerals were last hiked in 2009 with ad valorem taxes imposed on a host of minerals, including iron, coal, rock phosphate, bauxite and copper.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'