Odisha: Women protest attack on lady sarpanch
Bhubaneswar: In a novel way of protesting a recent attack on a lady sarpanch, women activists on Tuesday demonstrated here carrying the injured leader in a stretcher to demand arrest and exemplary punishment to the culprits.
The protesters, mobilised by the State Progressive Women`s Forum, alleged that though the woman sarpanch was seriously injured in the attack in Kendrapara district on December 25, the culprits were yet to be arrested.
The Sarpanch of Ghaghra Gram Panchayat in Kendrapara district Binodini Mallick, who had been attacked by elements opposed to her style of functioning, was brought by the demonstrators in a stretcher with bandage on her body.
Alleging inaction on the part of the police, the slogan shouting protesters demanded setting up of a special committee to ensure peace in Nikirai area on the outskirts of Kendrapara township which witnessed the incident.
The woman sarpanch, who had suffered multiple injuries on head, legs and arms, had been admitted to SCB Medical College and Hospital at Cuttack for treatment.
Mallick`s supporters claimed that though she had informed the police about the possibility of an attack, no action was taken.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'