Odisha: Women protest attack on lady sarpanch
Bhubaneswar: In a novel way of protesting a recent attack on a lady sarpanch, women activists on Tuesday demonstrated here carrying the injured leader in a stretcher to demand arrest and exemplary punishment to the culprits.
The protesters, mobilised by the State Progressive Women`s Forum, alleged that though the woman sarpanch was seriously injured in the attack in Kendrapara district on December 25, the culprits were yet to be arrested.
The Sarpanch of Ghaghra Gram Panchayat in Kendrapara district Binodini Mallick, who had been attacked by elements opposed to her style of functioning, was brought by the demonstrators in a stretcher with bandage on her body.
Alleging inaction on the part of the police, the slogan shouting protesters demanded setting up of a special committee to ensure peace in Nikirai area on the outskirts of Kendrapara township which witnessed the incident.
The woman sarpanch, who had suffered multiple injuries on head, legs and arms, had been admitted to SCB Medical College and Hospital at Cuttack for treatment.
Mallick`s supporters claimed that though she had informed the police about the possibility of an attack, no action was taken.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan bans contraceptive advertisements on TV, radio
- Janet Yellen says Fed rate hike likely appropriate in coming months
- Nico Hulkenberg, Sergio Perez provide qualifying boost for Force India
- Indian Premier League 2016 Final: Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Sunrisers Hyderabad — Players to watch out for
- Lionel Messi Injury Video: Witness the moment that scared everyone