Odisha: Women protest attack on lady sarpanch
Bhubaneswar: In a novel way of protesting a recent attack on a lady sarpanch, women activists on Tuesday demonstrated here carrying the injured leader in a stretcher to demand arrest and exemplary punishment to the culprits.
The protesters, mobilised by the State Progressive Women`s Forum, alleged that though the woman sarpanch was seriously injured in the attack in Kendrapara district on December 25, the culprits were yet to be arrested.
The Sarpanch of Ghaghra Gram Panchayat in Kendrapara district Binodini Mallick, who had been attacked by elements opposed to her style of functioning, was brought by the demonstrators in a stretcher with bandage on her body.
Alleging inaction on the part of the police, the slogan shouting protesters demanded setting up of a special committee to ensure peace in Nikirai area on the outskirts of Kendrapara township which witnessed the incident.
The woman sarpanch, who had suffered multiple injuries on head, legs and arms, had been admitted to SCB Medical College and Hospital at Cuttack for treatment.
Mallick`s supporters claimed that though she had informed the police about the possibility of an attack, no action was taken.
- NEET 2016: Government will take final call, says Venkaiah Naidu
- Next Odd-Even phase only after public consultation: Satyendar Jain
- IPL 9: Kings XI Punjab's Shaun Marsh ruled out for remainder of the tournament
- Indian Premier League 2016: Kolkata Knight Riders vs Royal Challengers Bangalore – Players to watch out for; probable playing XIs
- AIADMK protests transfers of IAS, IPS officers by Election Commission