Odisha`s minor burn victim dies, protestors torch vehicles
Bhubaneswar: A 14-year-old girl, who was set on fire by some youths after they attempted to rape her in Odisha`s Kendrapara district, died at a hospital here, triggering tension in the state capital.
"The girl breathed her last at the Capital Hospital last night," local police station in-charge officer Asim Panda said. She was rushed to Capital Hospital after authorities failed to airlift her to Delhi last night.
The girl, who struggled for survival for 12 days, was admitted to the SCB Medical College Hospital in Cuttack after criminals set her on fire after a rape attempt. However, there was no confirmation of rape.
Doctors at the SCB Medical College and Hospital had brought her to Bhubaneswar airport, but the plan to shift her to Safdarjung Hospital in Delhi failed as the victim`s condition turned critical.
The minor seventh standard girl from Mahakalapada block of Kendrapara district was set ablaze by a youth and his friend on July 28. Both the prime suspects in this case - Pradip Das and Ekadashi Das - have been arrested.
Soon after her death, angry protesters went berserk and damaged and torched vehicles in different parts of Bhubaneswar early this morning.
Besides damaging ambulances at the Capital Hospital premises, protestors torched two buses and one truck in the city`s busy area early in the morning prompting Director General of Police Prakash Mishra to deploy about 20 platoons (600 personnel) of force in different parts of the state capital.
Protesters also staged demonstration in front of Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik`s residence and official residence of health minister Damodar Rout.
Patnaik condoled the death and announced Rs 10 lakh ex-gratia for the family of the victim. Post-mortem of the body was done and the funeral was held in Puri later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Romantic Italian vacation! Love is in the air for Ruslaan Mumtaz and Nirali – See pics
- Bombay High Court quashes FIR against Sussanne Khan
- US asks Pakistan not to discriminate among terrorists
- CMs to make presentation on their ambitious schemes in BJP meet today
- Chilli-based PAVA shells may replace pellet guns in Jammu and Kashmir