OHRC asks CP to probe into police assault on public activist
Cuttack: Taking cognizance of a petition
filed by Cuttack Basti Unayan Mahasangha, Orissa Human Rights
Commission (OHRC) has asked the Commissioner of police to
probe into the alleged police assault on Mahasangha president
and public activist Subash Singh.
Singh, also a CPM leader, in his petition had alleged
that he was attacked by the police on July 4 while he was
protesting against alleged police highhandedness during an
"illegal" eviction of a city slum.
Singh alleged that while he was discussing with senior
police officials, they assaulted him without any provocation.
The petitioner had further stated that he was thrown
on the road and was kicked as a result of which he lost
consciousness for a brief period.
Instead of taking him to the hospital, he was
confined at an unknown place for over six hours without
medication or treatment. He was also not allowed to contact
his family members and lawyer, the petitioner claimed.
The petitioner had also contended that the demolition
of the slum in the wee hours of a holiday was contrary to the
direction of the Supreme Court as well as the instructions
issued by the Union government and State government.
Observing that the petitioner has raised issues
relating to violation of Human Rights, OHRC recently called
upon the police commissioner to conduct an enquiry by himself
and submit a report to the Commission within two weeks of the
receipt of the order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!