OHRC asks CP to probe into police assault on public activist
Cuttack: Taking cognizance of a petition
filed by Cuttack Basti Unayan Mahasangha, Orissa Human Rights
Commission (OHRC) has asked the Commissioner of police to
probe into the alleged police assault on Mahasangha president
and public activist Subash Singh.
Singh, also a CPM leader, in his petition had alleged
that he was attacked by the police on July 4 while he was
protesting against alleged police highhandedness during an
"illegal" eviction of a city slum.
Singh alleged that while he was discussing with senior
police officials, they assaulted him without any provocation.
The petitioner had further stated that he was thrown
on the road and was kicked as a result of which he lost
consciousness for a brief period.
Instead of taking him to the hospital, he was
confined at an unknown place for over six hours without
medication or treatment. He was also not allowed to contact
his family members and lawyer, the petitioner claimed.
The petitioner had also contended that the demolition
of the slum in the wee hours of a holiday was contrary to the
direction of the Supreme Court as well as the instructions
issued by the Union government and State government.
Observing that the petitioner has raised issues
relating to violation of Human Rights, OHRC recently called
upon the police commissioner to conduct an enquiry by himself
and submit a report to the Commission within two weeks of the
receipt of the order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre