One arrested for raping, killing minor blind girl in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: A taxi driver was arrested in Puri Saturday for allegedly raping and murdering a visually impaired minor girl, police said.
Banamali Barik, 35, who was arrested, is a drug edict and has a criminal record. He was a frequent visitor to the victim`s house. He has confessed to the crime, District Superintendent of Police Anup Sahu told IANS.
The 15-year-old victim was a student of a blind school in the state capital Bhubaneswar, 60 km from Puri, and had gone to her village for her summer vacation.
Her family said she went missing outside their house where she had been sleeping with other family members Thursday night.
A search was launched around midnight and her corpse was found in a nearby forest. An empty liquor bottle was found at the spot.
The accused confessed that he lured the girl and took her to a nearby under construction house and attempted to rape her. When she resisted, he took her to a forested area and inserted an iron rod in her private parts and killed her, police said.
Hundreds of women, social and political activists protested in Bhubaneswar against the barbaric crime.
Sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik, who lives in Puri, created a sand sculpture on the beach to condemn the incident. The sculpture of a face holds the message: "I am not blind, society is".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH