One arrested for raping, killing minor blind girl in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: A taxi driver was arrested in Puri Saturday for allegedly raping and murdering a visually impaired minor girl, police said.
Banamali Barik, 35, who was arrested, is a drug edict and has a criminal record. He was a frequent visitor to the victim`s house. He has confessed to the crime, District Superintendent of Police Anup Sahu told IANS.
The 15-year-old victim was a student of a blind school in the state capital Bhubaneswar, 60 km from Puri, and had gone to her village for her summer vacation.
Her family said she went missing outside their house where she had been sleeping with other family members Thursday night.
A search was launched around midnight and her corpse was found in a nearby forest. An empty liquor bottle was found at the spot.
The accused confessed that he lured the girl and took her to a nearby under construction house and attempted to rape her. When she resisted, he took her to a forested area and inserted an iron rod in her private parts and killed her, police said.
Hundreds of women, social and political activists protested in Bhubaneswar against the barbaric crime.
Sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik, who lives in Puri, created a sand sculpture on the beach to condemn the incident. The sculpture of a face holds the message: "I am not blind, society is".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview